Dear All, firstly let me distance myself from both Desmond Swords, his many alies, and from Jeffrey Side. I have been watching this "debate" with some interest and whilst I do not believe Desmond's most recent message about being in Tanzania, I think that the posts by both parties were out of order. Certainly I agree that Mr Side perhaps conducted himself in a more decorous manner throughout the very public exhange, but to reprimand Mr Swords for the "volume and tone" of his posts, I feel, is a little harsh. I'd like to begin by explaining myself a little and assuring you that I am not mad (I hope). The very notion of reprimanding anybody on this list for the volume of their posts I feel is flawed; I mean, are we going to go deaf if all our posts are typed in uppercase letters? Granted, uppercase letters may be used to portray that one is shouting/ emphasising a point, but the emphasising of points may just as easily be made via the use of effective punctuation, such as exclamation marks. In time are these then to be banned as well?
         With regards to the tone of Desmond's messages, I am in complete agreement that the tone was confrontational and the initial article published by Mr Swords was certainly too personal in its approach, but are we to take offence to everything that is slightly over the mark? It we are, should Mr Side not be punished also for the tone of some of his messages (which I felt were a little patronising towards Mr Swords)? Again, I am not Mad, but I feel that due to Desmond's obvious and not improbably intended out-spoken-ness, we as a list are taking the 'Side' of the more conventional and at a time when the majority of the members of this list are striving to be considered as unconventional, innovative and perhaps a little out-spoken themselves in their poetry, this is highly ironic. Finally, I would like to re-iterate my view that this verbal scuffle was unnecessary, but in an age where the internet may quite possibly end up being the final bastion of free-speech, the attempts by members to maintain this sanctity by exercising this right should not be punished. Just my thoughts; I would welcome disagreements: It's a free world after all!

All the best,
Mark.

> Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 11:02:07 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Two more responses to Jacket Heaney debate
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Mark, in my webmail system the name and subject line of the post appears
> after the post has already been posted,and deleting it doesn't help. But thanks
> anyway.

Join the all-new Windows Live Messenger family Click here!