We haven't implemented Li POCT here, but I had some involvement recently with another Trust, Leeds Partnerships NHS Foundation Trust (provides mental health services) which had set up POCT Li some time ago.

I was contacted by a consultant psychiatrist who was concerned about some "discrepant" Li results.  A meeting with him and a charge nurse who ran it revealed exemplary running of a POCT system, with careful records being kept of results, training, maintenance, QC and EQA.

I found that they were using citrate samples, claiming to have been advised by the company rep.  Changing to Na heparin seems to have solved their problems.

The system they are using is ILyte:
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/GMEC/Pages/GuildfordEvaluations/PreviousReports/Reports/ILyte.html

This report is dated 1994, but their purchase was later than that, although I don't know when.  I don't know whether the equipment is still on the market.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX
UK

tel   (44)-[0]113-392-3945
fax  (44)-[0]113 392-3453.

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk

>>> Graham Bishell <[log in to unmask]> 03/04/2009 11:56 >>>
Hi
Does anyone have any experience of successfully implemented POCT testing
for lithium. A name of a potential supplier for such a device would be extremely
well received.
Many Thanks
Graham Bishell
Swansea