I began my career is a "summer job" medical technologist in Chicago  in 1967.
My first job was to install and operate an AA2, and a few years later we had
the SMA 6.   All of the dates in the last few photo sets match exactly
when we installed this equipment in a suburban Chicago hospital.
I suspect that the fancy East Coast labs were ahead of us.

 Unfortunately there are many parts of the world where this
type of pipetting  is still a standard practice.....

Regards to all,

Steven R. Binder
Director, Technology Development
Clinical Diagnostics Group
Bio-Rad Laboratories
4000 Alfred Nobel Drive
Hercules CA 94547
Phone :   510-741-4603
e-mail:     [log in to unmask]

"Corns, Cathryn" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Clinical biochemistry discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

04/08/2009 05:42 AM
Please respond to
"Corns, Cathryn" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Scanned images

This is the North Middx lab in the early 1960s (I joined the lab in 1966 and it looked just like this, so suspect the picture was taken in 1965 soon after the AA1s came into use
The others - one is of me (oh!  distant youth!) showing how we USED to measure things (1969) ....... and tea time (1968) in the days that we used to clear the specimen reception bench, boil the kettle on the gas ring and have tea .............  no H&S in those days!

How much better life seemed in those far-off days - no budget to worry about, certainly no managers or chief executives (just the hospital management committee), a busy day was 100 samples ... Time to retire!

Cathryn Corns
Head of Biochemistry Department
01702 435555  ext 6614