Bravo, David.

John
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Atkinson
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:59 AM
Subject: [SPAM] Re: actualisation

Ralph, Sue and friends

I heartily agree with your sentiments. My own business collapsed around me in August last year, as I failed to raise sufficient finance to make further acquisitions of small businesses. The board and other shareholders laid the blame at my feet, as CEO, and I accepted their desire to see me leave.

Since then, I have been applying creativity and innovation to see where I can get to now. I have recently put together a research proposal to undertake a multi-level analysis of creativity/innovation as a socially negotiated response to states of distress (within the SME sector). I have no answers to your question yet, but I believe I have a direction to go in.

As artists (and I use the word with caution), we can help as catalysts to creative conversations - but only if those conversations are related to specific states of distress; i.e we need to understand the problems faced by those we have the conversations with. Now is not the time to present a theory about thinking differently, or to float the idea of an artist in residence, or some other such scheme. We need problem solvers who think as artists think - they needn't be painters, poets, musicians, dancers etc - they just need to see the business world differently, while at the same time understanding it from its current reality.

If we can engage in useful conversations now, we will earn a right to theorise later.

Best to all

David

image

AM (Northern) Ltd, registered in England No. 05080874
Registered office of the company: 17 Central Buildings, Market Place, THIRSK, YO7 1HD

This e-mail is only for the addressee named above. This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and for the use of the person(s) to whom this e-mail is addressed only. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please notify the sender and delete it from your computer without reading, disseminating, copying or using it in any way. Please note that e-mail communication is not secure and AM (Northern) Ltd, its officers and/or employees, do not accept any responsibility for any changes made to this e-mail after it was sent. We are not aware of any software viruses in this e-mail or its attachments but we cannot guarantee that this communication is virus free. AM (Northern) Ltd, its officers and/or employees, do not accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused by this e-mail containing software viruses.

P  More printing = less trees...
...good for ink suppliers but poor for the environment!