Dear Rene,

I hope I have not given you the impression that I regard tooth measurements as
useless. In fact it is quite the opposite, I believe they are very informative
and in fact underused in zooarchaeology. It is just that they are not good
proxy of either body size or withers height.

Here are refs of some of the papers in which I discuss the divergence of bone
and tooth measurements. I'll send you a couple of pdfs tomorrow.

Albarella U. & Davis S. 1996. Mammals and Birds from Launceston Castle,
Cornwall: Decline in Status and the Rise of Agriculture. York, Circaea, 12 (1),
pp.1-156

Albarella U. 2002. Size matters: how and why biometry is still important in
zooarchaeology. In K. Dobney  & T. O’Connor  (eds). Bones and the Man: Studies
in honour of Don Brothwell, pp.51-62. Oxford: Oxbow Books.

Albarella U., Tagliacozzo A, Dobney K. & Rowley-Conwy P. 2006. Pig hunting and
husbandry in prehistoric Italy: a contribution to the domestication debate.
Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 72, 193-227

Cheers,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology

"There is no way to peace. Peace IS the way".