magnetic separation will remove the iron.  I suggest you use a jet mill to prevent the contamination rather than try to remove it.

________________________________

From: Support and use of X-ray diffraction instrumentation on behalf of Patrick Weisbecker
Sent: Mon 3/30/2009 3:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Contamination during Ball milling

Hello,

We are making powder (carbon graphite sample) for powder diffraction purpose using a Retsch MM200 Miller with Iron or WC balls and we need to get rid of the contamination due to the miller and balls.

Do you know some procedures to get rid of this contamination? I thought centrifuging technique could be useful because our sample has a lower density than the miller material. Has someone experienced this technique?

Thank you for all ideas or comments...

Patrick

Patrick Weisbecker

PESSAC