Colleagues

This is to remind you of the next CTS seminar at UCL, which will be given
by Dr Francesaca Medda, who lectures at UCL on Transport Economics.
The topic will be Accessibility Without Access.

We hope that you will be able to join us for this.

Ben

Seminar

16.00, Centre for Transport Studies
University College London

218 Chadwick Building

Accessibility without access
Francesca Medda

Centre for Transport Studies
University College London

Abstract

In the Eddington report one interesting table depicts the economic
returns of various transport investments. The result of this analysis
is easily predicted: road investments should always be preferred to
rail investments and certainly they must be preferable to investments
in fast rail. The questions that we need to ask at this point are: Is
the increase and improvement of accessibility a main priority of
transport investments? And if so, why are the investments shown in
comparison tables not compared in relation to the accessibility that
they achieve?

Transport accessibility, in this work, is examined as a merit good
and we therefore assume the necessity for government intervention in
its provision. However, transport accessibility may be achieved
through different levels of merit good values, as for instance, rail
intervention versus road intervention. Some transport systems achieve
greater equity in accessibility, thus a higher merit good value; this
implies that social planners need to discriminate various levels of
subsidy and investment in relation to equity in transport accessibility.