Dear SPMers,
We are trying to analyse a fMRI data set in SPM5 and have a few queries.

The data is from two groups of subjects (n=15 in each group) who performed a
task in a block design with two alternating conditions - a 'Task condition'
and a 'baseline condition'. Single subject level analysis was performed to
derive the Task-Baseline contrast images and entered into a one sample
t-test with covariates for each of the two groups to generate SPMs which
were FDR corrected. We find regions of activations which appear to clearly
differ in the two groups. However we fail to see any significant differences
in a two-sample t-test in which the same Task-Baseline contrast images were
entered for between-group comparisons.

How would one explain such a scenario where the regional activation patterns
as seen in the within group one-sample t-tests are not reflected in the
between group t-test comparisons? We would be grateful for any comments /
suggestions.

With regards
Harsha

Harsha Halahalli
Research Associate
Department of Psychiatry
National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS)
Bangalore, INDIA