Hi Steve

I'm going to restate what I think the problem is to make sure we are
on the same page.  You can let me know if I've misunderstood.

Let's say you have 6 scans and a covariate for each of them
(10,20,30,40,50,60).  You enter these in your design, and by default
SPM will mean-center this vector, so instead of [10 20 30 40 50 60]
you have [-25 -15 -5 5 15 25].  This is what you want, because a high
parameter estimate for this regressor would tell you that the first
scan contributed less than average, and the last scan more than
average---the relative differences of all your covariates.

The problem arises when you don't have values for all scans.  So now,
say you have 6 scans, but only 3 numbers (10,20,30).  If you then
enter [10 20 30 0 0 0], mean-centering gives you [0 10 20 -10 -10
-10], so a high parameter estimate would indicate that the last 3
scans contribute less to the mean than the first three----not what you
want.

The solution is to set up your vector so that the values for the scans
you want are mean-centered before adding the 0s for the other scans.
In other words, mean-center [10 20 30], which gives you [-10 0 10],
and then add the extra zeros, for [-10 0 10 0 0 0].  Now, data in the
last 3 scans can't have any influence on the fitting of this parameter
estimate, because no matter how large the beta value is, it is
multiplied by 0.

[Note that, since you have mean-centered this vector yourself outside
of SPM, it makes no difference whether you tell SPM to mean-center it
or not.]

The columns of your design matrix relating to subjects will scale to
fit variance associated with a subject across both scans; this
covariate will reflect the values over the first scans.  I think this
will answer the question you are asking...hopefully someone will
correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Hope this helps,
Jonathan