Dear all,

Interesting discussion, I actually do recall a discussion on the list
quite some time ago, but this issue might have come up during
continuation off list, I do not remember anymore.
A reason for doing normalization > GLM 1st level > GLM 2nd level could
be that spatial interpolation errors at the reslicing level (eg after
normalization) have a very limited influence as they are probably
averaged out by the many time points that are estimated in a 1st level
GLM. When you do normalizing+reslicing after 1st level GLM on model
parameters, you have far less points at the 2nd level to fit your GLM
model on, and hence interpolation errors have a bigger influence or
might cause biases especially at high intensity contrasts in your image
(eg gray matter <> CSF boundaries).

This effect might be so small that it can be ignored, but it would
indeed be good to have an (empirical) grasp on it.

I do not see many other reasons for doing normalization before 1st level
GLM, which does not mean they do not exist, of course.

Cheers,

Bas

Dr. S.F.W. Neggers
Division of Brain Research
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience
Utrecht University Medical Center
Visiting : Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
          Room B.01.1.03
Mail    : Huispost B.01.206, P.O. Box 85500
          3508 GA Utrecht, the Netherlands
Tel      : +31 (0)88 7559609
Fax      : +31 (0)88 7555443
E-mail  : [log in to unmask]