CENTRE FOR SOCIOLOGY, ANTHROPOLOGY AND POLITICS: 2009 ANNUAL CONFERENCE

http://www.c-sap.bham.ac.uk/events/conference_09/

Roles, Rights and Responsibilities:
Negotiating Relationships
25 - 27 November 2009, Jury's Inn Hotel, Birmingham

This conference brings together people engaging in learning, teaching and assessment in the social sciences and those wanting to
enhance the staff and student experience within higher education today. The purpose of the conference rests on the recognition that
the provision of higher education, and the institutions through which it takes place, as well as the students it serves, are
changing rapidly, offering new demands and opportunities for us all. Social scientists are, perhaps, uniquely well placed to
research, understand and respond to these changing roles, relationships and responsibilities. At this conference we will examine:

    * the roles of students, the University, academics generally, and social scientists in particular in the present era;
    * the rights and responsibilities of teachers, students, Higher Education Institutions and the sector as a whole;
    * the relationships that create learning communities within the sector and determine the engagements of social scientists with
both wider politics and our publics.

We welcome papers that address the above themes, please see the call for papers for more detail about each theme and guidance notes
for information on the types of sessions and presentations we are looking for.

Audience

The conference welcomes participation from academic and academic related colleagues in further and higher education, both nationally
and internationally. We especially encourage social science students to consider presenting and attending this conference. We are
particularly keen to encourage staff to use the conference as an opportunity to disseminate developments in their learning, teaching
and assessment practice in the social sciences, and to share and discuss ideas, evidence and learning about pedagogy.

Full details provided at:

http://www.c-sap.bham.ac.uk/events/conference_09/