This is a call for papers for a University of Surrey conference.  Please respond direct to Dr. Roberta Guerrina ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ).

There are also details on the SPA website at: http://www.social-policy.com/documents/MotherWarCallforPapers.pdf

Can women have it all? Or, are working mothers responsible for undermining the social fabric? These

are some of the contentious issues over which the "Mother War" is currently being fought. Media

reporting of Jackie Scott's work on social attitudes about working mothers is a case in point.

This workshop will explore trends in scholarly debates on gender and the social construction of

mothering. In order to assess the norms that define popular views of mothers and mothering, the

workshop proposes to bring together scholars from politics, sociology, psychology and policy studies.

Contributors to the workshop will thus unpack the complex web that underpins the theory and practice

of mothering. Particularly of interest are the interactions between the social construction of mothering

and ethnicity, class, sexuality, and age.

This workshop will expand the reach of current research by bringing together scholars in politics and

policies with health care practitioners. Moreover, it will look for ways to reconcile the increasing

diversification of personal expectations and social practices on the one hand, with core assumptions

about the role and function of women as mothers on the other.

The organisers invite contributions on the following themes:

• Feminist theories

• Theories of mothering

• Sociology of Care

• Gender politics

• Work-life balance issues

• Psychology of choices

• Family policy

• Socio-legal issues

• Ethnicity & Mothering

• Reproductive Technologies

• Healthcare provision/delivery

• Class and mothering

• Sexuality & Parenting

• Mothering and health

We are particularly interested in papers and panels that draw links between these areas and introduce a new

research agenda. We also plan to bring together some of those papers as an edited collection or special issue

on Mothering.

We particularly welcome submissions from early career researchers and doctoral students.

Keynote Speakers

Prof. Carol Bacchi (Univ. of Adelaide)

Prof. Andrea O'Riley (Univ. of York, Canada)

Prof. Jackie Scott (Univ. of Cambridge)

Keynote Roundtable

Prof. Simon Duncan (Univ. of Bradford)

Prof. Rosalind Edwards (South Bank Univ.)

Prof. Diane Houston (Univ. of Kent)

Guidelines for the submission of proposals:

Papers: 200 words abstract and contact information (including institutional affiliation)

The organisers also welcome the submission of panel proposals. Please contact Roberta to

discuss of the panel's fit with the overall objectives of the workshop.

For panel proposals please include the following details:

200 words abstract of rationale for panel and fit with workshop objcetives;

150 words abstract for each paper;

Contact information of chair and panellists.

Please send proposals to Dr. Roberta Guerrina ([log in to unmask]) by

S D McKay