Hi folks,

You might remember my request for information on time release policy at your
institution to undertake a PG Cert.  Many thanks to those who took the time
to respond.

I was asked by a number of respondents to circulate the results to the list.
So here they are, suitably anonymised but grouped by new and old universities
as I thought they may have differing issues.  What the responses tell me is
that our policy of 20 per cent teaching release is reasonably in line with
many comparable institutions [very few give no incentive or support to engage
in the award] but that lots of other institutions have similar difficulties
policing such a policy across departments.  There are still a significant
number of institutions who do not require completion of a PG Cert but do
require part of it to be completed and encourage the rest.

There are also a number of more creative motivators being tried elsewhere...
if they were combined, new staff would be allowed no teaching, a laptop
computer, their department would get a thousand pounds and we could all have
an increment, a letter of commendation and strawberries and cream at the end!

cheers
John
 <<PG Cert time release questions summary 9 3 09 anon.doc>>
Dr John Peters
Academic Development and Practice Unit
University of Worcester
01905 855506

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.
(D.F.Malone)

http://www.worc.ac.uk/adpu/650.htm