Maybe this is discussed in Richard Hughes' Tommy; I will check tonight.

Dave Richards
-----Original Message-----
From: To exchange information and views on the life and work of Rudyard Kipling [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George Engle
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tipperary

Dear Michael

I don't know where I got the idea from, but for at least sixty years I have believed that the references to Piccadilly and Leicester Square in  Tipperary were to places in  the trenches so named during  the Great War. This can't be right since (as I have just learned for the first time) the song was written in 1912.

So they must have originally referred to the places in London so named; and if my long-held explanation has any truth in it, the names (or nicknames) of those places in the trenches must have been prompted by the song. I wonder if anyone can say whether  this is in fact the case?

Best wishes to all

George Engle

Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we inform you that, unless specifically indicated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this message, including any attachments, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

 This email message from the law firm of McCarter & English, LLP is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.