While ideally we would all like TNA to take the lead, I'm not sure that they have the resources to respond in the time that we would like.  In order to be accepted as 'best practice', either TNA or the proffesssional organisations need to take the lead in delivering such a piece of work - does the RMS or SOA have this on their agenda at all?

Since Chris has expressed an interest that's 2 people to help :)  and although I am on the opposite side of the planet, I would also like to be involved as this is something that is likely to hit the New Zealand community soon.

Paula

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 13/03/2009 05:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TNA Invitation to Comment on new guidance on Specifying requirements for offsite storage services.

Perhaps you could start it Steve?

Thanks for the invitation Chris!  I think its fair to say that I've been
trying to do my bit on get this issue on the professional agenda for the
last couple of years or so, what with publishing the book, umpteen
journal papers and presentations on this subject, forming the RM2.0 Ning
network and coordinating the creation of the Records Manager's 2.0
Manifesto... but it can get a bit lonely at times J

In an ideal world I think it would be beneficial all round if such
leadership and guidance were to come from those professional bodies and
organisations which either have a remit to represent RM professionals
working in all sectors (such as the SoA and RMS) or have the authority
and gravitas to make a widespread difference (ala TNA)

I was recently involved in the production of some briefing papers for
JISC on the subject of 'Outsourcing email and data storage'

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/publications/bpoutsourcingv1.aspx
which dips a toe in this area, but does little more than scratch the
surface (to mix a few metaphors).

There was also some momentum on behalf of members of the RM2.0 Ning
network to attempt to produce something along the lines you outline but
this has gone quite of late pending the release of some relevant
research work soon to come out of Northumbria University.  Maybe in the
absence of a lead from anywhere else its time to revisit those original
plans.  Any volunteers to be involved?

Cheers

Steve