RAIN 20080218

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to records and archives management.

John Stewart documents brought home to museum
Owen Sound Sun Times - Owen Sound,Ontario,Canada
By MARIA CANTON With a little persistence, the Bruce County Historical ...
an archivist for Bruce County Archives. tewart was eventually pardoned for
his ...
<http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1437119>

Bush library, policy center to share Wal-Mart-size building
Dallas Morning News - Dallas,TX,USA
In interviews, federal archivists and Bush officials provided the most
details yet about the size of the library and policy center, which mostly
will be ...
<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/national/stories/DN-bushlib_17met_.ART.State.Edition1.4bf913d.html>

Details emerge about Bush library, policy center
Dallas Morning News - Dallas,TX,USA
And the National Archives, which has been meeting regularly with Bush
architects, is preparing soon for its first major review of the library's
preliminary ...
<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/state/stories/021709dnmetbushlibrary.3c6ef78.html>

Kay Hagan Gives NC Senate Papers to UNCG
UNCG University News - Greensboro,NC,USA
Receiving papers from a leader like Hagan raises the profile of University
Archives and Manuscripts and should help attract additional historically...
<http://www.uncg.edu/ure/news/stories/2009/feb/hagan021609.htm>

Dome leaks threaten Providence city archives
NECN - Newton,MA,USA
Plastic tarps covers some areas of the archive to prevent further damage.
Archivist John Myers tells The Providence Journal the problem has been
getting ...
<http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/02/17/Dome-leaks-threaten-Providence/1234871733.html>

Dome leaks threaten Providence city archives
Turn to 10.com - Providence,RI,USA
AP PROVIDENCE, RI - The Providence city archivist says leaks in City
Hall’s dome are threatening valuable centuries-old records. Plastic tarps
covers some ...
<http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/article/dome_leaks_threaten_providence_city_archives/10266/>

History begins with documents
The Day Weekly Digest - Kiev,Ukraine
This collection of microfilms was presented as a gift to the Odesa Oblast
State Archives in 2004. Now it has enriched the collection of our state’s
supreme ...
<http://day.kiev.ua/264639/>

Rare images part of newspaper archive going to Wright State
Dayton Daily News - Dayton,OH,USA
By Dave Larsen DAYTON — The Dayton Daily News archive includes rare
photos of a smiling Orville Wright, Charles F. Kettering in his workshop
and Matilda J. ...
<http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/02/17/ddn021709archivesinside.html>

Western Golf Association Donates Rare Photos to USGA Museum
Cybergolf National
At this point in the archival process we have alphabetized all the players
and are now working on the course images. With every folder we open we are
amazed ...
<http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/western_golf_association_donates_rare_photos_to_usga_museum>

Making History Come Alive
Jakarta Globe - Jakarta,Indonesia
“The [archival] development of Indonesia is fast and the documents are in
good condition.” In order to protect their integrity, records are checked...
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/life-times/article/10113.html>

Archivist talks about balancing scholarship and spin at presidential libraries
10:09 PM CST on Monday, February 16, 2009

<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/0217dnmetbusharchivist.3c71afb.html>

Electronic record-keeping to save Midland County $500000
The Saginaw News - MLive.com - Saginaw,MI,USA
by The Saginaw News MIDLAND -- Midland County will scan and electronically
store inmate booking files at the Midland County Jail under a $71929
contract ...
<http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2009/02/electronic_recordkeeping_to_sa.html>

Midland files go electronic
The Saginaw News - MLive.com - Saginaw,MI,USA
Sheriff Jerry Nielsen said the county stores 35000 files at the jail and
has old records in another office. "Arrest records must be kept for 75
years. ...
<http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2009/02/midland_files_go_electronic.html>

The Legal Dept rescues Records Managers?
CMSWatch - Silver Spring,MD,USA
Many are still tasked with archiving hard copies of the meetings of the
board of directors, purchase orders, and files from the legal department....
<http://www.cmswatch.com/Trends/1501-The-Legal-Dept-rescues-Records-Managers>

Transparency and the Web
Washington Post - United States
... Access to Court Electronic Records) system that has until now had a
monopoly on online access to the files, which are stored in a pay-per-page
database. ...
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/16/AR2009021601292.html>

John McGlinn, Conductor and Musical Theatre Archivist, Dies at 55
Playbill.com - New York,NY,USA
By Robert Simonson John McGlinn, a conductor and musical archivist who
devoted himself to finding and recording the restored scores of early works
of the ...
<http://www.playbill.com/news/article/126362.html>

100-year-old love letter threatens horsewhippng
News Wales - Knighton,UK
Elisabeth Bennett, Swansea University Archivist, said “It is surprising
to come across such an intriguing item in a minute book. Everyone we have
shown it ...
<http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Culture&F=1&id=16421>

'Dayton Daily News' Archives Going to Wright State U.
Editor & Publisher - USA
AP Plans 'Multiplatform' Oscar Coverage By E&P Staff CHICAGO The Dayton
(Ohio) Daily News announced Tuesday that it is giving its entire archive of...
<http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/newsroom/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003942153>

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va