" I do think it's harsh to dig out completely unrelated news stories from 5 years ago to try and discredit a guy who is not online to defend himself ... think that's a bit below the belt."

although, (sociology alert) this is why reputational currency is hard to maintain when everything you (or I) have ever said is available forever on the net.

The Facebook generation may not care about this, some say. I find it, er, sobering.

-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Stokes
Sent: 03 March 2009 10:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Shopping study?! Yes it is unethical

His theory on how the mistaken belief that mice love cheese got a grip is pure genius. And he got that into a Scientific American podcast (http://www.sciam.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=0006C5C9-03D2-1507-83D283414B7F00FF), the Times Higher (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=204937&sectioncode=26), the Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-403925/Mice-hate-cheese-new-study-reveals.html) and plenty of other discerning publications, no doubt. The research behind his theory was sponsored by the Stilton Cheesemakers' Association.

He's named too in 'research' done by the bed company, Silentnight (http://www.silentnight.co.uk/plaincontent.aspx?pageID=716). How prescient has this proved?:

'As well as doing more work in bed, due to wireless communication, we could definitely see beds taking up residence in our offices. Larger purpose built beds may allow less intimidating and tiring versions of meetings. Horizontal meetings with ceiling projectors could even give birth to lateral conferencing, where comfort and clandestine snoozes may improve attendance and stamina.'

Interesting that as a psychologist specializing in 'social relationships', among many other things, he wasn't able to diagnose himself, though, before this:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/86/86636_jealous_rage_of_tv_crime_shrink.html.

None of this, though, does anything to exonerate journalism, unless all other academic psychologists simply refuse to talk to the media, which strikes me as a smidgeon unlikely.

Chris