Our experience over the five years we've been running the perspectives poster competition is that it's become easier for students/postdocs to get involved. We've definitely had less comments from the finalists that it was a problem taking time out from their research. Of course, it could just be that those who do get involved are the ones who have supportive supervisors. However I think there has been a gradual shift in attitudes since I left research myself. Engagement and communication are much more on the agenda, though it means many different things to different people!

perspectives gives PhD students and postdocs the chance to present a poster about the social/ethical implications of their research at the British Science Festival
http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/perspectives (2009 deadline for applications: 8 May)

________________________________

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicola Jagger
Sent: 05 March 2009 09:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Involving Postgrads in outreach activities

Hi

I have a steady stream of postgrads, post docs and PIs willing and able to get involved in outreach activities here at Centre of the Cell.  We’re creating a science centre actually within the Medical School here at Queen Mary University and over the last five years, I’ve found that my constant presence in the buildings and work to gain the substantial and increasing support of the heads of departments has meant that there has been something of a culture shift towards becoming involving in outreach activities and science communication in general.

We run training sessions for the volunteers, in the form of a two hour Science and Engineering Ambassador session in conjunction with STEMNET (http://www.stemnet.org.uk/) and a two hour session in the Centre of the Cell*.  This means that everyone can see that they really are gaining new skills thoroughly and can be confident before they meet with any public!

I’ve actually found that post docs are sometimes the more interested in outreach work as they are considering their next career step forward and are trying to broaden their skills in the possibility that the next step isn’t straight academia.

*We haven’t run the second part yet as our Centre won’t be finished until June, but we do already have volunteers involved in outreach work.

Best wishes

Nicola

Click here <http://www.centreofthecell.org/centre/?page_id=307>  to read the latest update about exciting new resources and upcoming events at Centre of the Cell.

Nicola Jagger

Content Manager

Centre of the Cell

Queen Mary, University of London

64 Turner Street

London, E1 2AB

Telephone   + 44 20 7882 2565

Email          [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Web           www.centreofthecell.org <http://www.centreofthecell.org/>

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be the subject

of legal privilege.  Any use, copying or disclosure other than by the intended

recipient is unauthorised.  If you have received this message in error, please

notify the sender immediately and delete this message and any copies from

your computer and network.  The views expressed in this email are those of

the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centre of the Cell.

********************************************************************** 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk