We use the uPortal framework with JSR-168 portlets at the University
of Manchester.

So far we have the following services in the portal, as an example:

Blackboard
Talis library
Email
Oracle/blackboard calendar
news/announcements
various applications which live in the portal layer like bookmarks
exam timetabling and other student services
administrative services
etc.

We are currently getting about 45k log ins/day and just recently
finished our upgrade to uPortal version 3 with AJAX drag and drop
customisation, skinning etc jazzy features, and more detailed targeting.

Please feel free to get in touch if you think we could be of any help
with your project.

Cheers,

Joni

--