The Iranian Fire Festival

- annually in our park at the equinox,
(northern spring, southern autumn)

begins slowly: family groups greeting and chatting
gather on the grass, one eye on the fenced rectangle

and its three piles of wood shavings. First
the sun has to set, children on the play equipment

exhaust themselves, everyone must photograph
each other, arms over each other’s shoulders,

smart ladies posing one knee behind the other;
gentlemen greet each other courteously;

buckets of chips, chicken wraps, and other
traditional Iranian foods must be consumed.

Mixed fruit and nuts, indeed traditional
- here dispensed in plastic containers.

Very loud recorded Iranian rock must resound
through the park and the neighbourhood

for an hour or two from a tent also generating
smoke like that at rock concerts. I can't identify

the Council Officer monitoring sound levels,
keeping them to the EPA legislated limits.

(EPA? eardrum-piercing allowed?) This stands in
for 'banging on pots and pans with spoons',

their version of Halloween in the west.
Strategically placed bins with wide mouths

are labeled Bushfire Relief. The fires are lit!
Ten stout men in fluorescent vests

stand by alertly, children take their turn
running to the first fire, jumping - second - third, away.

Older children, young adults boldly, women in skirts
tremulously, some swerving to the side each time.

If they're shouting: Sorkhi-ye to az man;
Zardi-ye man az to [Give me your beautiful

red colour; And take back my sickly pallor!]
as my reading promised, I can't hear it.

So far as I can tell, that’s it,
this year’s Iranian Fire Festival.

If it wasn’t getting cold,
and I had someone to talk to,