I wonder if it's related to poetry stemming from a plant originating in North America,
"loco weed" or Datura stramonium.  Wikapedia provides the following samples:

There is a mnemonic device for the physiological effects of datura/atropine intoxication:
"blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, red as a beet, hot as hell, dry as a bone, the bowel and
bladder lose their tone, and the heart runs alone." Another rhyme describing its effects is,
"Can't see, can't spit, can't pee, can't shit." Regarding Datura, among the Navajo is the
folk admonition, "Eat a little, and go to sleep. Eat some more, and have a dream. Eat
some more, and don't wake up."

Barry