From bier to pit
And be shut in it
Then lies my house upon my nose
And all my care for this world goes.
Anon.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Barbour" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: rilke translation

Fascinating, Martin, & some of it wonderfully weird.

I was bothered by 'yonder' & 'lad' (for example) which struck a
Victorian note in the midst of the weird.

Doug
On 5-Mar-09, at 11:28 AM, Martin Walker wrote:

> I am ambivalent about translation & have not well received most
> Englishings of Rilke that I've seen - but today I was re-reading
> (couldn't remember a thing!) Jean Gebser's book *Rilke und Spanien*  in
> which he shows how Rilke began to emancipate the adjective from  its
> ornamental and perspectival functions after experiencing El  Greco in
> Toledo & quotes this poem, which I had forgotten, to be  honest, with its
> "an gestern begonnenem Fenster". So I had a go at  it, trying to capture
> the rhythms and the sheer weirdness of this  meditation. It's not
> coincidental that this version sort of alludes  to a famous poem by
> Ungaretti, or that the poem itself should remind  one of the beginning of
> Hölderlin's "Brod und Wein". See what you  think.
> mj
>
> The immense night
>
> R.M.Rilke

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

It's always night or we wouldn't need light.

Thelonious Monk