From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mark Weiss
Sent: 06 March 2009 15:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The cost of a triptych

There are framers who are truly artists, but most frames are very
easy to make. Your local frame shop puts them together out of stock
millwork. The tools: a t-square, framers clamps, a finecut saw, a
mitre box, a hammer, finishing nails and a countersink. The problem
here is cutting the matt. I regularly cut my own matts, but my matt
cutter limits me to about six inches maximum borders. In a tryptich
most of the cutting is very far from the edges and requires much
higher-end equipment or the skill to cut free-hand. I have a tryptich
that needs framing. No way I'm going to cut my own matt.

The other solution, which often, as in my case, isn't appropriate, is
to float the pictures on the backing.

Mark