Hi Ken and Joe,

I don't think that it is hard to identify paradigm shifting design
thinkers. Rather than try to find new people with that potential just
select people who have demonstrated that capability.
We have done just what I am suggesting when we elected a new President
who is not an economist or a health industry professional.

Consider the example that I gave Steve Jobs. He was an important
player in the creation of the personal computer and all of the
significance that has for contemporary culture and in another area was
an important player in creating a new world of digital animation. He
used similar methods of managing creativity in both areas. When the UK
government funded design consultancy activity one of the requirements
was that the design businesses need to have a track record of
successful activity.

Steve jobs couldn't possibly do a worse job managing GM than the
current management. The culture in Detroit punishes dissent and new
ideas. The car industry will say that you need long experience of that
industry to work on the problems but I do not agree. The only hope
they have of surviving in my opinion is to bring in someone from
outside with transformational capability and a process that can be
applied to find the way out of the hole they have dug for themselves
through creative ideas and vision. Someone with the courage to say no
to the many special interests.  I don't think that it matters that he
hasn't a background in the car industry speaking as someone who has
been close to that industry. The industry needs someone who can make
the hard decisions and who has a business and social vision for
positive change.

I am suggesting selecting people who have already demonstrated their
capabilities and empower them to make necessary decisions.Maybe Steve
Jobs isn't the best person but a DesignThinker and hands on leader of
his caliber who has the courage to come to grips with the problems.

Rob

Rob Curedale | President | Curedale Inc | 22148 Monte Vista Drive
Topanga Canyon CA 90290 USA | tel: +1 310.455.2636 studio |  cell: +1
616.455.7025 | www.curedale.com | [log in to unmask] |