Ken Friedman wrote:
> The Deming management model and the Toyota Way explicitly require human solidarity.

I agree with that and would go a little further in relating it to
designing. Implementing these kinds of cultural and organisational
schemes is a design task as much as designing the products they produce.

A few years ago I took part in a "Teaching Company Scheme" with a local
Manufacturer, Kingkraft, who make baths for disabled people, technically
quite complex electro-mechanical products. The Teaching Company Scheme
(now called Knowledge Transfer Partnership) is funded by the UK
government to allow small businesses to take advantage of university
expertise by employing a graduate, supervised by the university, to work
in the company on strategic developments for two years. It's a great
scheme and everybody involved learns a lot and gains new experience.

The design graduate involved, Marcus Crossley, was brought in to develop
new products, which he did, but the company had some quite serious
problems which the new owners had inherited from the previous
management. The factory was dysfunctional based on chaotic systems
creating overwork, delays and poor quality and the staff had all worked
in this system for years so could not see a way out (and maybe lacked
the motivation)

As we introduced a new product we took the opportunity to introduce a
cellular system (previously new products being built, components and
tools were scattered randomly around the factory depending on what had
happened the week before).

Marcus became intrigued by the problems and the kind of thinking
represented by the Toyota system and, since the existing team did not
have any grasp of the problem, took the initiative to do a thorough
overhaul of the whole factory. As well as a rational method of
organising the flow of materials and tasks, in consultation with the
workers, he produced well-designed graphical information to explain how
each production task (complex assemblies) should be done, allowing
workers to develop their understanding and take responsibility rather
than depend on verbal instruction and an incomplete understanding of
their work.

Six years later Marcus is the Technical Director of the company,
responsible for managing and developing a new bigger factory, he is
still a designer, it's just a different kind of designing concerned with
community and technique rather than product.

So anybody who implements this kind of change has to be a designer by
instinct, if not training, and knowledgeable designers may be very good
at taking a lead in these situations.

best wishes from Sheffield
Chris