So where does working within  your scope of practice come into all this?
Surely (although the harm would not be seen so soon) it would be like one of
use taking a job running an ITU? Something about which we may have a rough
idea of what is involved but in which we have no real knowledge or skill
base?

2009/3/8 [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

> Interesting point. I am not sure if it is just about existing
> qualifications – but that at least is a start. I was at the AOHNP Ruth
> Alston memorial lecture in Birmingham week before last. After the lecture
> one of the attendees raised an interesting issue that the HSE  have
> expressed concern about whether all SCPHN qualifications provide adequate
> preparation for OH practice.
>
> The outcomes for SCPHN programmes are very broad. I can understand the
> concerns of the HSE. I recognise it is impossible to develop an OHN degree
> which is absolutely perfect, however, unless there is an NMC appointed OHN
> expert on the validating panel it would be easy to gain validation for a
> course which is strong on general public health but very weak on the
> specifics of OH.
>
> Sadly, I am lead to believe that there  are at least two OH pathways
> through an SCPHN degree which were validated by the NMC despite  not even
> having an OH qualified person employed by the university which developed
> them.  I am unsure who wrote the OH component of those programmes but if it
> was an HV or SN I would question how can those practitioners have even an
> inkling of what package of knowledge and skills are required to be a
> competent OHN. I would not even start to develop an HV course without expert
> HV input and would expect that pathway to be lead by an experienced HV.
>

> Anne
>

> On 8/3/09 14:15, "Frank Oakes" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>   I came across a case last year where the HSE inspected some motor body
> shops in the NE and they audited the OH providers quals and as she had none
> she was summarily dismissed by the local traders and I believe given a stern
> talking to by the HSE.  It worries me that people are willing to put what
> qualifications thay have at risk.  It was following this that I was made
> aware that they were auditiing many OH providers as they had grave concerns
> from large providers to small.
>
> Frank
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net<http://ohjobs.drmaze.net/>
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION http://www.aohne.org.uk
>

>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net<http://ohjobs.drmaze.net/>