Very difficult issue - if they suspect he is using cannabis ( i`m hoping this is not at work) what is  their rationale for wanting him tested? Does  he work in a safety critical role? What is their drug and alcohol policy? Who`s going to tell him that he needs testing? Will he need to consent ? ( I think so unless their is something in their local policy) Will this be done on site? Could he cry that he is being vistimised?. Could you be accused of bias? What are the ramifications if he is using cannabis recreationally and at home? Is it affecting his work?

All these thorny reasons are why I wouldnt necessaril do it UNLESS there was a solid policy to back up why and IF I had relevant training. - there are sorts of issues about safe chain of custody for samples for example. Plenty of independent organisations out there that will do it and not be accused of a witch hunt

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vanessa Duke
Sent: 18 March 2009 09:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] cannabis

Dear List,

Have been advised by an HR manager of a company that they suspect that one of the employees is taking cannabis and want him tested by Occupational Health? As I have not done this before can anyone tell me of the legalities etc and process I should follow?

Many Thanks

Vanessa Duke

Corazon Health Limited

5 - 6 The Mill

Copley Hill Business Park

Cambridge Road

Babraham

Cambridge

CB22 3GN

Tel.01223 834404

Fax 01223 834412

Corazon Health Limited is registered in England and Wales; company number 4434615

The contents of this email are confidential and intended only for the addressee.

If this email is recieved by you, and you are not the intended recipient, please notify us and destroy the recieved copy.

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net