Hello Catherine

Perhaps I am being cynical but I smell a rat! HR appear to be naïve in
expecting him to attend. This man was dismissed rather than resigning of his
own accord. Furthermore, this happened some weeks ago. Unless the
ex-employee considers that he has a work related condition I can see no
reason why he should have any interest in attending. Perhaps this move has
resulted from HR anticipating a future claim against them.

As the OH practitioner I would feel very uncomfortable being the person
contacting him to attend for an exit assessment. He could  interpret it as
you being in the pocket of HR. In the unlikely event of him attending then
you may find it a difficult experience, particularly so if you initiate the
appointment. I would bat it back to HR and suggest that they contact  him
asking rather than you being involved.

Good luck

Anne

On 11/3/09 09:04, "Wood, Catherine" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It is normal policy for OH to undertake an exit medical for all staff during
> their last week of employment.
>
> Several weeks ago, an employee left suddenly (was dismissed) and I have just
> received an email from HR requesting that I send this gentleman an appointment
> to come in.
>
> Are there any legal implications for inviting this ex employee in, as I think
> I remember something from somewhere regarding insurance??
>
> I would be grateful for any thoughts.
>
> Catherine Wood
> Occupational Health Nurse
>
> ________________________Honeywell Q
> Honeywell Aerospace Yeovil,  Bunford Lane, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 2YD, UK
> Telephone: 01935 446042
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> <BLOCKED::">mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net