Re: [OCC-HEALTH] use of gloves when vaccinating? Hello Diane

I have never used gloves when giving an injection.  Whilst visiting a relative on two separate occasions  over a two week period I witnessed nurses giving an injection whilst wearing gloves, both managed to inject themselves with the drug in the process due to reduced manual dexterity!
I appreciate that gloves are recommended whilst undertaking venepuncture but I am  unconvinced that it is always appropriate when giving injections. I am basing this on the following premise: the barrel of the needle would be contaminated with blood if it had been used for venepuncture, but presumably the risk of infection is reduced when the needle has not been introduced into the lumen of a blood vessel whereas wearing gloves increases the chance of a needlestick due to reduced manual dexterity. What is the opinion of others?

Anne