I don't wear gloves whilst vaccinating - just wash my hands.

Lynda

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 01 March 2009 18:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] use of gloves when vaccinating?

Hello Diane

I have never used gloves when giving an injection.  Whilst visiting a
relative on two separate occasions  over a two week period I witnessed
nurses giving an injection whilst wearing gloves, both managed to inject
themselves with the drug in the process due to reduced manual dexterity!
I appreciate that gloves are recommended whilst undertaking venepuncture but
I am  unconvinced that it is always appropriate when giving injections. I am
basing this on the following premise: the barrel of the needle would be
contaminated with blood if it had been used for venepuncture, but presumably
the risk of infection is reduced when the needle has not been introduced
into the lumen of a blood vessel whereas wearing gloves increases the chance
of a needlestick due to reduced manual dexterity. What is the opinion of
others?

Anne