Dear Colleagues,

You might find the following also helpful : Kevin James Magill, Julian
of Norwich: Mystic or Visionary? (London : Routledge, 2005). Routledge
studies in medieval religion and culture 4.

In this work Magill, among other things, discusses the imaginative and
visual approach of Julian's method of pedagogy. This perhaps might
explain why she often uses a more image-based presentation of biblical
learning rather than a purely textual employment of biblical citations.

Best wishes,
Carolyn

Cate Gunn wrote:

> Julian was of course writing at a time of anxiety about lay
> appropriation and interpretation of the scriptures – she was
> undoubtedly cautious in what she wrote in case she was accused of
> Lollardy.
>
> Vincent Gillespie in his essay in the recent _/Companion to Julian of
> Norwich/_ (pub. D. S. Brewer) suggests that her use of the scriptures
> may be a form of ­_/lectio divina/_, and he refers to pp. 131-2 of
> Colledge & Walsh’s edition of the Book of Showings. The new edition of
> her writings, ed. Nicholas Watson and Jacqueline Jenkins has thorough
> notes and an extensive bibliography which may be of use.
>
> Cate

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
School of Humanities
University of Bristol
Bristol
BS8 1TB