From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Suzanne Hevelone
Sent: Thu 12/03/2009 6:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Julian of Norwich and the Scriptures

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to help someone working on Julian of Norwich. She was asking me about Julian's lack of scriptural citations, and I'm not sure how to direct her. I know scriptures would have been read in Latin within the service, but beyond that I'm at a loss. Here are her questions in case anyone else knows how to help.

I am wondering about Julian's choice (?) never to quote scripture in
her text. You can make the argument that she references scripture, but
she never makes a direct quotation. I was wondering if, when other
writers of her time, quote the Bible, they typically did so in Latin.
Or when sermons were given in the vernacular, was scripture then
quoted in Latin? Did people writing or speaking in the vernacular
avoid the direct quotation of Scripture in order to avoid using Latin?

Thanks in advance.

Suzanne