cfp categories:
childrens_literature
film_and_television
gender_studies_and_sexuality
journals_and_collections_of_essays
popular_culture
rhetoric_and_composition
twentieth_century_and_beyond

We seek to delve further into the mind of Rowling and examine all
aspects of the Harry Potter series that lend themselves to a lavender
lens. With Dumbledore¢s ejection from the closet, queer scholars have
taken up Rowling¢s decision at all three major Harry Potter
Conferences (Accio, Portus, and Terminus) over the summer of 2008. As
such, we seek papers for an interdisciplinary reader on queer and
feminist issues in Harry Potter. We welcome critical and passionate
papers catering to both students and scholars in the fields of
sexual/gender diversity studies, cultural studies, children¢s
literature, and literary analysis. A non-exclusive list of topics are

ö the representation of HIV/AIDS and werewolves
ö normativity and wizardy
ö the ¡closet¢ under the stairs and coming out
ö alternative gender roles
ö magic and sex/gender
ö the family
ö slash/fan-fiction
ö movie representations and textual representation
ö camp and effeminacy
ö post-series ¡outings¢
ö children Vs adult reader reactions to Dumbledore¢s sexuality
ö Oppression
ö Mythological lineage
ö power and authority
ö asexuality
ö child/adolescent relationships/sexuality
ö pedagogical concerns
ö Race, Ethnicity and British Nationalism
ö Pottermania
ö Sexual rhetoric in Harry Potter

Please submit a 400-500 word proposal, including 50 word biography and
100 word abstract, via email in a word document. Proposals should
clearly outline the line of argument, significance and relevance of
scholarships (or originality), and the principal texts considered.
Final papers should be between 3-7,000 words (not including any
artwork), and copyrights must be secured in advance.

Deadline for submissions is June 1, 2009. Please send submissions and
queries to [log in to unmask]

--
Yemisi Ogunleye
www.iq4news.com