Dear all,

Below is the programme for the above event to be held at De Montfort University on 22 April this year. The day costs £30 waged, £20 unwaged including lunch and coffees etc and payment can be made online following this link https://store.dmu.ac.uk/catalogue/products.asp?compid=2&deptid=9&catID=31&hasClicked=1

DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY

CENTRE FOR ADAPTATIONS

Feminism and Adaptations Study Day

Wednesday 22 April 2009

Registration 9.30-10.00 (Room 2.33 Clephan Building) http://www.dmu.ac.uk/aboutdmu/campuses/index.jsp

10-11.30 Feminism, heritage, history (Room 3.01, Clephan Building)

Rachel Carroll, University of Teesside

'Adapting Miss Wade: "rehistoricising" sexuality in the 2008 BBC adaptation of Little Dorrit

Suzanne Speidel, Sheffield Hallam University

'The Passion, the Prose, and the Image: gender and heritage in Ivory's and Forster's Howard's End

Rebecca White, Durham University

'"Shall I be stared at like a wild beast in a  zoo?" Images of Austen in Becoming Jane and Miss Austen Regrets

11.30-11.45 Tea and Coffee (Cl.2.33)

11.45-13.15 Feminist Readings/Feminist rewritings (Cl 3.01)

Shelley Cobb, University of Southampton

'The Virgin/whore Text: A Feminist Critique of the 'Faithful' Adaptation

Alexia Bowler, Swansea University

Adapting Genre/Appropriating Icons: Urban Fairytales in a Postmodern Setting in Jane Campion's In the Cut

Lindsey Scott, University of Chester

'"Will it consume me? Awakening Shakespeare's Ghosts in Julie Taymor's Titus'

13.15-14.00 Lunch (Cl 2.33)

14.00 - 15.00 Genre, appropriation and feminism (Cl 3.01)

Alice Ridout, Leeds Metropolitan University

'Lost in Austen: the Feminist Politics of Nostalgia

Scott Freer, University of Leicester

'Brief Encounter and the Female Malady'

15.00-15.30 Tea and Coffee Cl2.33)

15.30-16.30 Feminism and Popular Culture (Cl 3.01)

Esther Sonnet, University of Portsmouth

'Women's Pulp Crime Fiction

Lisa Stead, University of Exeter

'Adapting Screen Images in Fan Writing: Fan Cultures in British Silent Cinema

Imelda Whelehan, De Montfort University

Why is Post-feminism so boring?

16.30 - 17.00 Closing Remarks (Cl3.01)