Yahoo Query Language (YQL) provides a common syntax for querying disparate APIs.
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk/archives/2009/03/opening-up-data-with-yql.html

The YQL blog has a link to several API examples, in the YQL console, that can currently be queried and it's very easy to add your own.
http://www.yqlblog.net/blog/2009/02/20/yql-environment-files/

I agree that, from the point of view of aggregating results, it's somewhat of a pain if every institution has their own XML format for publishing a catalogue record.

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
Senior Web Developer
National Maritime Museum