While not too unhappy with the way the debate is going no-one has yet answered the original question, 14 months ago I was asked a similar question & here is my reply :
"I'm checking with our operational people but for the 5 I know of they are so quiet that it only activities that are a potential problem & extra staff are drafted in for these.
To illustrate :
Allerton Bywater open 10 hpw annual issues 6700
Ireland Wood 10 hrs, ai 5700
Lofthouse 8 hrs, ai 6100
Methley 12 hrs, ai 9300
Shadwell 15 hrs , ai 9900
Our 2 mobiles which visit homes & centres are single staffed & our other 3 are some of the time but they all have half a day off the road for the admin & are double staffed when visiting certain areas of the city.
There are at least 3 other branches where the level of business would allow single staffing but for staff safety reasons are not."

The original enqurirer was not asking about grades but the branches are all staffed by basic library assistants (S1/2) the mobiles by at least one Scale 3 (& no-one higher).

It might be noted that only the City of London, Manchester & Gateshead have more library staff per 1000 population than Islington & only a handful amongst the counties & unitaries have less than Bradford. Bradford has 24 more service points than Islington & only 20 more staff. My view, as a near neighbour of Bradford, is that the staff have a superb job over the past 10-15 years under the most difficult circumstances in terms of funding & staffing & are only again seeking to be realistic about their circumstances (they have also been very imaginative during this period).

As an aside
My 1st professional post was Assistant Reference Librarian, Stoke Newington Reference Library (now closed but under 2 miles from Alan Wylie's). We were open 68 hours per week & I was then expected to work alone from 5-9 pm 2 nights per week, I was paid AP3 which directly equates with Scale 4, the library assistant who worked alone on Friday evening I think was on scale 1 - times change!

Lionel Aldridge
Performance Manager
Leeds Library and Information Services
0113 395 2350

National Year of Reading has finished, but who cares: I have just started Jasper FForde's First among Sequels & it has started well even if I tend to prefer his Nursery Crimes series. I might as well shamefully confess to reading First among Equals many years ago on holiday!

Alan Issler <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>

19/03/2009 14:36
Please respond to
Alan Issler <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Double manning in branches

Hi

Whilst I am a child of the sixties myself and not known for an over
insistence on political correctness I think 'staffing' would be the more
correct, up to date and particularly in the case of libraries accurate
terminology to use.

Alan Issler
Neighbourhood and Enterprise Manager
Brighton & Hove City Libraries