Abstracting and Summarising Quickly and Accurately,

16 April 2009, at Bonhill House, London

Programme Features

A practical introduction to the key techniques used in abstracting and summarising documents of all kinds - news items, articles, books, reports and unpublished internal documents. The course includes:

Why you should attend:

Information overload affects everyone, and there is an urgent need for people who can extract the key facts and opinions from documents rapidly and reproduce them accurately. Abstracting and summarising techniques are essential for current awareness services, enquiry answering and desk research, preparing briefings and writing reports. This course reassures participants that abstracting is a learnable skill which we all practice in our daily lives, and shows how we can use our ordinary reading and writing skills more efficiently to improve our abstracting technique. This course reassures participants that summarising - and the rapid reading that goes with it - are learnable skills, and shows how we can use our existing reading and writing skills more efficiently to improve our abstracting technique. Directed by Tim Buckley Owen, who has more than 20 years' experience in abstracting, report writing and journalism, the course includes practical exercises based on a range of different document types.

On completing this course, you will be able to:

Course Director: Tim Buckley Owen

Course Fee: £260 plus VAT Aslib corporate members / £325 plus VAT Non members

To book your place, please visit: http://www.aslib.com/training/4/01.html

Nicole Adamides, Training Manager

ASLIB

207 Davina House, 137-149 Goswell Road, London, EC1V 7ET

Tel: +44(0)20 7253 3349                Fax: +44(0)20 7490 0577

www.aslib.com/training

Windows Live just got better. Find out more!