*On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM, David Prosser, Director of
SPARC-Europe<http://www.sparceurope.org/>,
wrote in the American Scientist Open Access
Forum<http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/sc/wa.exe?A2=ind09&L=american-scientist-open-access-forum&D=1&O=D&F=l&S=&P=37113>
*:

*As all of the UK research councils, as well as some of the major UK funding
charities, have green mandates in place I don’t see how this can possibly be
described as ‘pre-emptive gold fever’.*

I'm so glad you said that, David! Here is the very specific reply that
should fully elucidate this question, which cuts to the very heart of what
is at issue:

(1) There are two kinds of Green OA
mandates<http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/>:
funder mandates and university mandates.

(2) Yes, the UK is the only country in the world in which all 7 of its
national research funders (plus 7 more charities and intercouncils) mandate
Green OA (and that is just wonderful: a global inspiration and example in
every respect!).

(3) However, UK funder mandates only cover *funded* research output.

(4) UK university (and research institution) mandates, in contrast, cover *
all* UK research output, funded or unfunded, across all fields.

(5) And the UUK <http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/>/RIN<http://www.rin.ac.uk/>
 advice on Gold OA funding <http://www.rin.ac.uk/openaccess-payment-fees> was
from and to UK universities, not funders.

(6) Most UK universities do not yet mandate Green OA. (Only 6 UK
universities plus two departments do -- although that is still the largest
number of university mandates of any country in the world today!).

(7) Therefore my point -- that *on no account should funding Gold OA be
recommended until and unless Green OA has been mandated* -- stands, for the
intended recipients of the UUK/RIN advice: UK universities.

(I might add that even funding councils that mandate Green OA for the
research they fund can help more by stipulating that the default
locus<http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/526-guid.html>
of
the mandated Green deposit should be the fundee's own institutional
repository -- from which it can be exported/harvested to central
repositories if desired -- rather than mandating direct central deposit.
That creates a synergy
<http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/369-guid.html>between
the two kinds of mandates, with the funder mandates encouraging and
facilitating the adoption of university mandates at each of the fundees'
institutions, so as to cover their unfunded research output too.)

Stevan

*Stevan Harnad <http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/>*
American Scientist Open Access
Forum<http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.html>