From: Ian Stuart [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thu 12/03/2009 18:32
To: MacLeod, Roderick A
Subject: Re: [JISC-REPOSITORIES] Something different: Twitter search on repsitories

MacLeod, Roderick A wrote:
> Isn't Tweetdeck nice.  There's your list of friends items. Search, and
> then there is the live feed for that search in your interface.  No need
> for all that flapping around with RSS search feed URLs and feedreaders
> and suchlike.  Would a similar thingy for new content items from various
> selected Institutional Repositories and searches in IRs be useful.  Or
> is there one already?
I think you are confusing two issues here...

1) Functionality: The ability to have a box in your interface, which
allows you to search across repositores
2) Technology: The use of RSS or Atom feeds to broadcast up-to-date
information.

Creating [insert technology] feeds is not a problem - I've done both a
user-based search and an author-based search as part of the EM-LOADER
project..... how your undefined "interface" displays that information is
up to your interface designer :)

... and the SWORD-deposit facebook app will tell you when your friends
deposit something through the app :)

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC000278.