From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:13 pm
Subject: Re: [INT-BOUNDARIES] re mini crisis or not
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I response to Mr. Oduntan's commentary, I should mention that
> the Yellow Sea
> (Huang hai in Mandarin) is named for the Yellow River (Huang he)
> and the
> distinctive color--yellow brown of the sea's northern
> reaches.  The South China Sea
> is named the Southern Sea (Nan hai) in Mandarin.  Place
> names--especially of
> marine features--do not indicate sovereignty or ownership.
> The names in
> Chinese do not support Mr. Oduntan's apparent premise that the
> areas were
> recognized as Chinese--even by the Chinese.
>
> The PRC has never delimited the outer limit of its EEZ.  In
> the South China
> Sea, the area in question is also claimed by Vietnam.
> Therefore a Chinese
> claim to exclusive jurisdiction in the area is disputed by its
> neighbors as well
> as Western maritime powers.  The US ship was beyond China's
> territorial sea in
> a disputed area of the South China Sea.  Under these
> circumstances, it seems
> unlikely that the ship was engaged in actions that violate
> international law,
> but I leave that to the legal scholars to discuss.
>
> I do not think that the Int-Boundaries List should be a forum
> for political
> diatribes, but reasoned discussion.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dan Dzurek

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan
Lecturer in International Commercial Law,
Kent Law School,
Eliot College,
University of Kent,
Canterbury,
Kent CT2 7NS, UK.

Phone:
Switchboard 0044 (0)1227 764000 (ext 4817)
Direct Line 0044 (0)1227 824817
Fax: 0044 (0) 1227 827831

Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/people/index.htm