>It seems that approaching HERs directly is not going to make anyone
happy - it's playing some sort of political game.

True, but then refusing to take the data would also be viewed as taking
a certain stance within the 'political game'.

*    And if finders aren't happy to share with PAS then why would they
be happy to share with the HER?

Because they don't see HERs as an arm of 'Big Brother' government, and
don't necessarily associate us with their perception that some
archaeologists are out to restrict/ban their hobby?

*    I guess we need some sort of consensus over whether we should
import this data or not.  Who'd get the final say about it?  English
Heritage?

Collective decision at a forum meeting? Detectorists could perceive EH
as being yet another arm of government. Up here there is no PAS, and we
have to take the information directly into the SMR so there's less of an
issue.

Andy

--
Any email message sent or received by the
Council may require to be disclosed by the