Very interesting and useful Chris.

I'm considering writing to the carers of all of my patients with dementia,
most of whom look as though they would qualify without difficulty for the
council tax discount.

The DWP defnition requiring

'Arrested development or incomplete physical development' must take place
before the brain is fully developed, which will be before the age of 30
(R(DLA)2/96)

is plainly age discriminatory, though whether legally so is another matter.
If there is no equivalent benefit entitlement to those with late onset
severe mental impairment it seems to my non-legally qualified mind plainly
ageist. After all the needs and impact upon the carer can be as severe.

Is anyone aware of an alternative route to claiming higher rate mobility
allowance for older people with severe mental impairment, for example the
wandering, no awareness of danger, need constant supervision dementias?

This message  may  contain  confidential  and  privileged information.
If you are not  the intended  recipient please  accept our  apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute  information in this e-mail
or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail