As you may be aware the City Archives, University of Hull special collections and the Local Studies library in Hull are joining together to move to new premises in the Hull History Centre at the end of this year. The building has been made possible by a huge grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, which has also made my role possible. I'm the audience development officer for the Hull History Centre and part of my remit is to engage people across Hull in the services that will be made available through the Hull History Centre. My job is to increase a sense of ownership of Hull's historic treasures among the people of Hull and to raise awareness of how the collections can be relevant and useful to their lives.

So far I have held some limited consultation. In order to monitor who I have spoken with, and to help me analyse their responses, I've been collecting their postcodes with their permission. I'm looking for a good way to measure (the actual gathering not the evaluating) of socio-economic data of who we are interacting with.

Audiences Yorkshire have done research in Hull that can help me interpret postcodes back into socioeconomic data about our audiences. I'm also looking at the Indices of Multiple Deprivation. Audiences in Hull are markedly more deprived than other parts of Yorkshire. I therefore want to measure whether we are engaging with people from deprived backgrounds in a non-intrusive way. I.e. not by making them fill in a census-style form every time they fill in a consultation form etc.!

Has any list member conducted this kind of measuring before? Can the list offer any advice on this?

Thanks very much

Arike

Arike Oke
Audience Development Officer
Hull History Centre

Based at:
Hull City Archives
79 Lowgate
Hull
HU1 1HN

Tel: 01482 615110
Fax: 01482 613051
Email: [log in to unmask]

In order that staff can prepare for the move to their new home in the Hull History Centre, the service is now closed to the public.

We are unable to answer enquiries other than those relating to requests for building approval notices, plans for architectural purposes and photographic orders.

Further details can be found on our website via the Hull City Council website at: http://www.hullcc.gov.uk