Hi,

I think your mprage image was taken in the sagital view.

You will need to re-orient the mprage image before any spatial registration, otherwise, you will get a distorted brain.

I know two ways to correct the orientation:

1. Use MRIcro [go to "file" --> save as (rotate/clip/format...)] --> then choose format to "sagittal-left".]  However, you will need to do one by one using this method.
2. Use fslswapdim, you can try and error to find the correct combination of xyz, i think you will need something like -z x y, not sure.

Yi-Shin