2009/3/20 Satrajit Ghosh <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Eugene,

Thanks. Let me see if I've understood this properly.

T1.nii (1mm isotropic)
EPI_A.nii (3mm isotropic)
EPI_B.nii (3mm isotropic - coregistered with EPI_A, but 4D)

We want to coregister the EPI to the T1 (ignore the problems of doing
this for the moment). So we run flirt to get the transformation
matrix:

flirt -in EPI_A.nii -ref T1.nii -omat register.mat

We now want to transform EPI_B such that it is coregistered with the
T1, but the voxel sizes remain as 3mm isotropic. Do we do the
following?

applyxfm4D EPI_B.nii EPI_A.nii EPI_B_trans.nii register.mat -singlematrix

This should give me EPI_B coregistered with T1, but with the voxel
resolutions of EPI_A. Is that correct?

If you use EPI_A the voxel dimensions will be correct, but the sform/qform matrices may not match the t1, so that the image would not be in the same space as the t1 (e.g. in fslview, the positions in mm will be different).  This could cause you problems.  An easy way to create the appropriate 3mm reference image is to use the ApplyXFM GUI (thanks Steve!).  Select Use identity transformation, use the t1 image is input and your EPI image as reference.  ApplyXFM also allows you to explicitly specify the output image and voxel dims.

Best,

Eugene

Cheers,

Satra