From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] TFCE in fMRI

Hi - the TFCE option in fslmaths is there in case you are interested
in the TFCE enhancement (e.g.) to a raw zstat image - to enhance
cluster-like aspects of the data. However, as Reza said, it is not
able to convert TFCE-enhanced values into p-values, because there is
not currently a simple direct conversion - currently, the only way to
convert TFCE scores into p-values is via randomise.

You can't apply randomise to FMRI first-level timeseries analysis
because of the temporal smoothness in the data - you could maybe
whiten the data and then run randomise (a la Bullmore) but we've not
tested that.  You can apply randomise to higher-level analyses (see
level designs, though currently only allows OLS modelling, i.e.
doesn't apply the more advanced variance modelling that FLAME does.

Cheers.

(http://www.fmrib.ox.co.uk/fsl/randomize/index.html
> ) I have read  that fslmaths can be used to test TFCE "on an
> existing stats image". But it seems it is true just after applying
> randomise. Is it correct? Or what else "fslmaths -tfce" is for?
>
> Another questions. According to the page mentioned above "randomise"
> is an option for simple GLM (t-tests, one-way ANOVA, simple
> correlation). In fMRI it means some cases of higher level analysis.
> What about 2-way ANOVAs? What about 1st level, where design matrix
> contains canonical HRF? And when we use nuisance effects (e.g.
> motion-correction parameters, or temporal derivative of HRF), the
> exchangeability of data is not assured. Does it means that randomise
> is not advised to use in these cases?
>
> Best,
>
> Auer, Tibor M.D.
> Biomedizinische NMR Forschungs GmbH
> am Max-Planck Institut für Biophysikalische Chemie
> Am Fassberg 11
> 37077 Göttingen
> Germany
> Phone/Work: +49-(0)551-201-1725