Hi Lin -

I see now Steve has answered much of this, but here were my comments

2009/3/27 Lin Nga <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a few questions regarding the thresholding in FEAT:
>
> 1) I understand that with cluster thresholding, the voxels are first
> thresholded by the Z threshold and then the resulting clusters are tested
> meet the Cluster P threshold.
>
> What I want to know is, how do I find the p-value corresponding to the Z
> threshold? Do I simply use the ztop (and ptoz for the reverse)? Just to
> verify, this function calculates the p-value for that Z-score and NOT the
> Cluster P threshold. Is that correct?

Yes.  As you described, z-threshold and cluster-P are different parameters,
for separate stages of the thresholding.  ztop simply converts from the
standardised z-statistic to the corresponding probablity that we obtained a
statistic >= to this.

> Also, if I'm conducting a whole brain analysis, I would want to use the #of
> resels given at the bottom of the smoothness file under each COPE's stats
> folder and not the resel count (# of resel/volume ?) for the ptoz function.
> Am I misunderstanding this?

No, the number of resels is required only when you are selecting the option
to calculate the z-stat associated with the GRF theory (this is relevant to
the "voxel" thresholding option)

> 2) On a similar note but a different analysis, I have a set of localizer
> data to find the FFA and I was hoping to get some advice on the threshold
> settings. I am defining the FFA as a sphere (of 8mm radius) centered on the
> most significantly activated voxel (within a certain range in the x,y,z
> directions) from the contrast ( Faces - Items ). At the default settings
> for
> the cluster thresholding ( Z threshold = 2.3 and Cluster P threshold =
> 0.05), I am only able to find FFAs in 31 out of the 47 participants. I was
> hoping that I would be able to localize more FFAs with less stringent
> thresholds.
>
> I tried the no thresholding option under the Post-stats tab of FEAT but the
> Post-stats report was blank except the the Post-stats title. Is this
> supposed to happen?

You can find the non-thresholded images in the stats directory -
zstat1.nii.gz etc..  Selecting "No thresholding" just tells FEAT not to run
any thresholding.

> I was considering Voxel thresholding but I need coordinates for the most
> significant voxel; not sure how I would find it if it's not reported in the
> results.

The voxel thresholding option in FEAT does not require a peak voxel
coordinate - it is an alternate to cluster thresholding that determines a
threshold based on GRF theory that is applied at every voxel (rather than
clusters).  If you do want to find the peak voxel, you can use fslstats
function on the images in the stats directory.

In general, defining ROIs does not necessarily have to be based on whole
brain thresholded maps - given the low SNR of fMRI, one would not always
expect an ROI to be significant in every subject.   People often use other
methods to define subject localised ROIs, such as top 20% of voxels within a
larger ROI.

Eugene

> Since the FFA is a rather small area, I'm thinking that I should lower the
> threshold and increase the Cluster P threshold but from previous posts, it
> sounds like lowering the Z threshold below 2.0 isn't a good idea. I'm new
> GRF theory so I don't quiet understand why that is yet but from the ztop
> function, a Z threshold of 1.65 corresponds to a p-value of 0.049471.
> Doesn't that mean a Z threshold of 1.65 would still give me significant
> results?
>
> Lastly, I am planning to re-run the post-stats with Z threshold=2.3 and
> Cluster P threshold=1. Does that sound like a good idea? Does anyone have
> any suggestions?

P=1?  Do you mean P=.1?  That should be OK.

--

Eugene Duff

FMRIB Centre,
University of Oxford
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington OX3 9DU  Oxford  UK

Ph: +44 (0) 1865 222 739  Fax: +44 (0) 1865 222 717