Just to complicate matters a little bit, let us not forget that fiction as such IS NOT a lie. The distinction between nonfiction (e.g. documentary) and fiction is not truth versus lie, but, in Edward Branigan's terms, one of determinate versus indeterminate reference (see his chapter on fiction in Narrative Comprehension and Film, Routledge 1992).

Henry

>> yes -- my point is that it is the dialectic between the world viewed (in this sense all film is documentary for it documents, in this case a bunch of actors, the interior of a studio, the effect of light etc >> etc.) and the presentation of that viewed world.

how do animation and CGI fit into this generalization?

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **