From: Steve Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Survey 1.0
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 2:14 PM

Barry Diner wrote:

> I am creating a survey and wanted to know if anybody can suggest a
> scale, the wording, 5 versus 7 point.

Everybody has an opinion about this, and I do too, but I will resist sharing
mine. Since there is no consensus in the research community, do whatever you
like. But here's a suggestion that you should consider. Instead of asking
us, why not ask the people who actually have to fill out the survey? This can be
done informally, or you can run a pilot study on the survey.

Let me also put in a plug for a book that I love,

The Survey Research Handbook. Guidelines and Strategies for Conducting a
Survey. Pamela L. Alreck, Settle, Robert B. (1995) Chicago, IL: Irwin
Professional Publishing

This is the ultimate beginners book for survey design and analysis. It has
wonderful checklists and is very readable. I did mention it in my January 2009
Monthly Mean newsletter (item #8)

 * http://www.pmean.com/news/2009-01.html

but I didn't say enough good things about this book.

If you want the really advanced perspective on this, consider

Health Measurement Scales. A practical guide to their development and use.
David L Streiner and Geoffrey R Norman. I don't have the most current
edition, but the edition I do have is excellent.

This is the book for people who want to argue some of the finer points about
survey scales.
-- Steve Simon, Standard Disclaimer.
Sign up for my brand new newsletter,
The Monthly Mean, at www.pmean.com/news