Hi Barry -

If it is a patient satisfaction survey, I would recommend that you have no more than 5 possible responses.  I would tend toward 4 or three, the distinctions that people make are not that fine and there is no standard that they work to.  The advantage of a four point scale is that you force people away from the tendency to check the middle box.

Best wishes

Dr Michael Shepherd
AWARD Senior Research Fellow
Cardiff Institute of Society, Health & Ethics
Cardiff University
53 Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT

+44 (0)29 2087 0098
www.awardresearch.org.uk
www.cardiff.ac.uk/socsi/cishe

>>> Barry Diner <[log in to unmask]> 12/03/09 1:08 AM >>>
I am creating a survey and wanted to know if anybody can suggest a scale,
the wording, 5 versus 7 point.

Thanks you

Barry Diner, MD, MPH, FACEP
Attending Physician St Lukes Episcopal Hospital
Clinical Assistant Professor Emory University
Methodologist, ACEP Clinical Policy Committee